[tlhIngan Hol] {vaj} connecting {-meH} clauses

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 05:55:33 PDT 2021

First, I’d recommend {vIHbe’meH qa’vIn} over {qa’vIn vIHMoHbe’lu’meH}. Unless the special base has a motion detector that fires a disruptor at anyone who comes near the coffee, the point is less to stop someone from moving the coffee than it is to stop the coffee from moving.

Alternatively, you could cut to the chase and just say {Qoy’be’meH qa’vIn}.

Secondly, you should note that {vaj} is not a conjunction. It’s an adverbial. It’s often used on the main clause after a conditional (dependent) clause. It’s not really intended to connect independent clauses like a conjunction does, though it can introduce a second sentence that results from the first. “I speak Klingon. Therefore, I am a nerd.” {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH. vaj jIven.} In translation, you can replace the period with a comma, but in Klingon, it’s actually two sentences.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)