[tlhIngan Hol] {neH} "merely" with imperatives

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Oct 15 06:28:52 PDT 2021

On 10/15/2021 9:21 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> SuStel:
> > You keep saying "native american." Be
> > aware that in the United States, this
> > phrase, capitalized, refers to a member of
> > an indigenous tribe, not to any natural-
> > born citizen of the US.
>
> I didn't know that. So how does one describe people born and raised in
> the u.s.a?
>
> Just "americans", or does he need each time to say the entire "natural
> born citizen of the u.s.a"?

In English, the only simple word we have for it is /American./ I
remember the delight I experienced in high school when I learned that
Spanish had a separate word for it, /estadounidense./

In Canada, the indigenous tribes are called First Peoples. Canadians are
familiar that US English uses /Native American/ instead (though many
Americans aren't equally familiar with the Canadian term), so I'm not
sure how a Canadian would interpret the phrase /native American./ They'd
probably just assume  you were using the US English term.