[tlhIngan Hol] {'e' qa'} "instead of" with quotations

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 7 10:46:48 PDT 2021

Thanks for the explanation of *es gibt".  I don't know where I got *es geben* from.

I 'll take your word for it that there are no contractions of verb forms in Standard German but what about non-standard regional dialects (High vs. Low German) both in Germany and abroad (Austria, Switzerland, Alsace, the Netherlands, the Baltics, etc.); the speech of the uneducated and other low-class sociolects; not to mention the old-fashioned German spoken by various emigrant groups like the *Wolgadeutschen* and *Russlandmennoniten* in Russia, the Old-Order Amish and Mennonites (who both speak what is called "Pennsylvania Dutch" in the US), and elsewhere?

Like Spanish *hay* there's only one form in Russian ( есть *yest'*) and the similar-sounding but linguistically-unrelated Hebrew ( יש *yesh*) as well.

Voragh