[tlhIngan Hol] {'e' qa'} "instead of" with quotations

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Oct 7 07:59:52 PDT 2021

SuStel:
> I don't remember Okrand comparing English /there's/ referring to a
> plural noun. You wouldn't do this in formal English, and even in casual
> conversation saying something like /there's ships in orbit/ might be
> noticed, though it's unlikely anyone but a stickler would comment on it.

It was in a message forwarded by Qov where Okrand wrote:
"This kind of parallels what's going on in English these days (at least
in the US -- I don't know about Canada or the UK) where "there's" is
often used regardless of whether what follows is singular or plural:

    - There's no tomatoes in the store. "

Read full quote here:
http://klingon.wiki/En/ThereIs

--