[tlhIngan Hol] SKI: bom tIQ vItu' Part 1.

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 08:14:56 PDT 2021

Wow.

I know I’ve achieved complete irrelevance when I can restore a song of such cultural significance to the Original Klingon with zero comment for a day. And nobody noticed that I even managed to work in an appropriately poetic use of the word {tlhonmey}. Sheesh.

I guess I need to translate it for you.

{Klingon text}, [literal translation], “so-called original lyrics in English”

{qol’om ‘oH gho-onbo-ogh Hoch’e’ ‘e’ Harchu’ ja-aw
ghaHbogh be’’e’ ‘ej QI’tu’ letlh je-e’taH.}

[A woman, who is a lord, perfectly believes that everything that glitters is gold, and she’s buying paradise’s stairway. (I chose {letlh} because, well, it could be seen as leading to a ship of sorts — something you’d take a trip in.)]

“There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven”

{pawDI’ jaw’vam ngaQchu-u’-chugh ma-alja’ qa-ach,
ngoQDaj’a’ SuqlaHbe-ej ‘e’ So-ovbej.}

[When this lady arrives, if the business’s building is perfectly locked, she knows that she can definitely acquire her great goal.]

“When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.”

{‘u’ ‘u’ ‘u’, ‘u’, ‘u’ ‘u’ ‘u’ ‘u’}

[The Universe the Universe the Universe, the Universe, the Universe the Universe the Universe the Universe the Universe. (Her goal is the Universe, many times over)]

“Ooo ooo oooooooooo, ooooooooo, oo oo oo oo oo”

{ej QI’tu’ ghoSbogh le-etlh je’law’taH.}

[And she’s apparently buying a stairway that goes to paradise. (Yeah, I know that {ghoS} is arguably the wrong verb, but hey, poetic license.]

“ And she's buying a stairway to heaven.”

{reDDaq vepHey tu-u’lu’, ‘ach vo-oqchu’ ne-eH
rut cha’ qech chuplaHmo-o’ wa’ mu-u’.}

[On the wall, one finds an apparent notice, but she wants to perfectly verify it because sometimes one word can suggest two ideas.]

“There's a sign on the wall, but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.”

{bIQtIqHom retlhDaq SorDaq bomtaH qa-anra-aD.
rut Hoch buSHachmaj no-obHa’lu-u’.} [This last verb was apparently mistranslated into English.]

[At the side of the minor-river in a tree, a bird known for its song is singing. Sometimes -indefinite subject- takes back our thoughts. (Apparently the poor English translation of “Our thoughts are misgiven” made it into the popular English translation.)]

“In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings.
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.”

{bISov.}

[You know.]

“ You know.”

{tIng ’ev vIghantaHDI-I’ jItIwchoH net ghu-ur
‘ej jItlheD neHmo’ qa’wIj nongchoHbej.}

[While I continue to glance at the West, it increases that I react emotionally and because my spirit wants that I depart, it definitely becomes passionate.]

“There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving.”

{Sormey Hay tlhIch rutlhme-ey vIlegh ‘e’ vI-Ija-al
bejbogh nu-uvpu’ QI-Ichmey je-e.}

[I imagine that I see wheels of smoke beyond the trees and the the vocal sounds of people who watch. (Yeah, I know that last noun phrase isn’t properly located for the grammar, buy hey, poetic license.)]

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking.”

{qajal.}

[I imagine you.]

“ That's you.”

— to be continued...