[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon food vocabulary

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 01:32:50 PST 2021

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 07:31, James Landau <savegraduation at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I spent most of the last several hours adding food words (including a new
> section for meals) to http://klingon.wiki/En/FoodVocabulary
>
> I went about it by looking for words in the food section and words for
> edible plants in the plant section of the Landau Core Vocabulary, and
> finding words that had Klingon equivalents, but weren't already on the wiki
> article's list. I'm pretty sure I've got all the real words (including
> edible animals' meats), but there may be some fictional foods I've
> overlooked (confession: I've never watched Star Trek).

majQa'!

I decided not to add *borghel* because although it sounds like a quail to
> me, I can't figure out the pun and I'm not really sure that borghel is
> intended to be quail. I have eaten quail, though, and it is delicious, as
> are their eggs.

I've considered some possibilities but don't know what they have to do with
birds or eggs.

The Arabic word for bulgur is pronounced like {borghel}. It is a food item,
and it's sometimes fed to birds, but has nothing really to do with their
eggs. There are a number of dishes cooked with both bulgur and quail eggs,
but that's a rather weak connection. Maybe Okrand just thought they looked
like tiny bird eggs.

There are some famous people named Borgel, including a Swiss watchmaker and
a family of Tunisian rabbis, but again, nothing to do with birds or eggs
that I could find.

--
De'vID