[tlhIngan Hol] new word: chotlh

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu Nov 11 12:03:48 PST 2021

Am 11.11.2021 um 20:40 schrieb Alan Anderson:
> I'm unsure about what the fundamental meaning of {chotlh} actually is.
> It can be used for looking intently at something, but also for not
> looking at anything? It sounds as if it's actually two somewhat related
> words, one used only with an object and one used only without.

The question originated from a character in the story who is just
staring into the sky; Not watching the stars or so, just looking up with
no target. Nothing is being observed or examined.

I see the difference to the other verbs like {legh} is used more like
"see" in general as opposed to "not see": "Do you see that cat over there?"

{bej} is defined as "watch, observe". The proverb from TKW
    {bISutlhnISchugh jaghlI' mInDu' tIbej.}
    If you must negotiate, watch your enemy's eyes.
is a hint to "observe" your opponent's eyes, but surely not stare at
them intently.

And here is the difference. When you are at a romantic dinner and you
look into your girlsfriend's eyes, that's {chotlh}. And then, if you
noticed (i.e. you {legh} ) another nice woman passing by, you can "ogle"
at her, that is {chotlh} too.

I guess there is a slight overlap betwen {bej} and {chotlh}, but if it's
for staring at something - intently or stupidly - then it's clearly
{chotlh}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"