[tlhIngan Hol] excuse me but what the jay' is {taymey}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 11 07:59:17 PST 2021

Here's how {taymey} was described in the qep'a' 2020 materials:

    Prologue is {bI'reS taymey} and epilogue is {bertlham taymey}.  But it's really more complicated.
    {taymey} is a section of a book or play or the like that's separate from the main portion of the work. It's seldom used without {bI'reS} ("beginning") or {bertlham} ("end") unless everyone already knows what the discussion is about (so, for example, you could say {bI'reS taymey} once and then, after that in the same discussion about the same thing, you don't have to include {bI'reS} each time).  Despite its description, {taymey} is not used for the appendix of a work.  A {taymey} contextualizes the main work; an appendix [see {HommaH}] is considered supplemental.
    Maltz thought that this word was a remnant of the way stories used to be told orally, since they'd begin and end with some sort of ritual ({tay}), the details of which are lost.  Even though {taymey} ends with the {-mey} "plural" suffix, {taymey} is a frozen form and is considered singular. It's okay to say {taymeymey} should the need arise.

--
Voragh