[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qatru'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 17 07:21:23 PST 2021

Klingon word: 	qatru'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	nerd
Source: 	Festival of the Spoken Nerd

qatru' jatlhlu'bogh yupma'
Festival of the Spoken Nerd (MO to De'vID, 3/2015)

(MO to De'vID, 3/2015):  (1) {ven} can be used for "be nerdy", but there may be some other apt English translations. It describes someone who is really into something (or a number of things), a true devotee, who partakes in activities associated with whatever he/she is into - doesn't just sit on the sidelines - and does so very seriously (though, with Klingons, pretty much everything is done very seriously by everybody, so this isn't much of a distinction).  It is possible to say {venwI'} "one who is nerdy" or "nerd".   (2) Another word for nerd is {qatru'}.  Though {venwI'} is fine, {qatru}' is more common... and nerdier.  ({qatru'} is the word he gave me before he was perplexed by nerd vs. geek.)  (3) {ngom} can be used for "be geeky".  Like {ven}, it's used to describe someone who's really into something and knows a lot about it, but doesn't necessarily partake in related activities - certainly not with the thoroughness of a {qatru'}.  (Also, as with {ven}, there may be some other English glosses besides "be geeky".)  It is possible to say {ngomwI'} "one who is geeky" or "geek" .

PUN:
1.  In Dr. Seuss's "If I Ran the Zoo", young Gerald McGrew sailed to Ka-Troo to capture “an It-Kutch, a Preep, and a Proo, a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too.”  [source?]
2.  "See also the (rather geeky) song 'Siberian Khatru', by Yes."  [Eric Andeen, 7/30/2015]

SEE ALSO:
vIlle' 		follower, disciple, fan, admirer, minion (n) (qep'a' 2009)
qolqoS 		core [of a group] (n) (qep'a' 2009?)

ngotlh 		be fanatical (n)
ngotlhwI'  	fan, fanatic (n) (DISCOVERY trailer)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last