[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pIm

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 11 07:58:16 PST 2021

Klingon word: 	pIm
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be different

pImlaw' romuluSngan be' porgh
I've heard Romulan women are different. (ST5 notes)

may' bom pIm bom
sing a different battle song
 (idiom: "speak of another matter entirely") KGT

DaH may' bom pIm Dabom
Now you sing a different battle song.
 (i.e. "Well, that's another matter altogether.") KGT

may' bom pIm wIbom
We sing a different battle song. KGT

may' bom pIm lubom
They sing a different battle song. KGT

motlh pIm 'ejyo' Dujmey
Unlike most Starfleet vessels...
["Starfleet vessels are usually different"] SP3

QuchlIj vIl law' QuchwIj vIl pIm
your forehead is not as ridgy as my forehead (HQ 13.1:10)

pIj tay'taH Doch pIm
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations  = IDIC
(lit. "different things are often continuously together") (ASM)

mapIm ngIq maH 'e' luQaw'meH ghoS chaH.
They come to destroy our individuality. (DSC "Battle at the Binary Stars")

vanchuq luqara' joH qeylIS je
   'ej Hemey pIm ghoS
   qa' qo'Daq ghomqa' chaH
Lady Lukara and Kahless,
    They said their goodbyes,
    And Lukara knew they would meet again.  (PB)

  “All Klingons are not alike. To an outsider, Klingon society is often regarded as rather homogeneous, as if all Klingons behave and think in the same way. In fact, although there are a good many shared basic beliefs and understandings that hold Klingon society together and define what it means to be a Klingon, there is a great deal of variation. Thus, despite the veneration shown to warriors, not everyone is a warrior.”  -- [KGT p.5, “The Fiction of Klingon Conformity”]

SEE ALSO:
Sar 		be varied, various (v)
ngang 		vary, be varying (v)
Dop 		be opposite, antithetical, contradictory (v)
rap		be the same (v)

latlh 		additional one, other one, another one (n)

jaS 		differently (adv)

TERRAN TRIVIA:
   F. Scott Fitzgerald once told Ernest Hemingway, “The rich are different than you and I.”  Hemingway replied, “Yes, they have more money.”

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last