[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chang'eng

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 8 07:39:55 PST 2021

Klingon word: 	chang'eng
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	pair
Source: 	BOP

nISwI':  cha' chang'engmey (telDaq lujomlu', nItebHa' lubaHlu')
Disruptor - 2 Pairs (Wing Mounted, Fire Linked)   [KBoP]

tlhIngan chang'engvetlh
that Klingon couple [ST5 DVD, extra "making of" feature]

(De'vID < MO, 1/22/2016):  {paSlogh} [socks] is an inherently plural noun, grammatically singular. {tu'mI'} the word for one sock. The usual way to say pair of socks is {paSlogh chang'eng};  {tu'mI' chang'eng} is odd, but if you said it, you'd be understood.

(De'vID < MO, 1/22/2019):  {qoch} ["partner"] is not the word for partner when referring to socks and gloves and the like.  The word for that is {nelwI'}.  With {nel}, the subject is one sock (or glove or shoe or whatever) of the pair and the object is the other. To talk about a sock (or glove or …) matching (that is fitting onto) a foot (or hand or …), use the verb {mey}:
   mumey waqmeywIj 		my shoes fit (literally, "my shoes fit me")
   torgh lumey waqmey  		the shoes fit Torg
   waqmeywIj vImey      		I fit my shoes

PUN:
famous brothers Chang and Eng were conjoined Siamese twins who toured the world at the turn of the 20th century.

SEE ALSO:
nel  		match, pair up, map onto (v)
rur 		resemble (v)
nIb 		be identical (v)
rap 		be the same (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last