[tlhIngan Hol] {ghIq} {ngugh} and time adverbs with time stamps

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Mon Nov 1 09:59:17 PDT 2021

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 10:02 PM janSIy . <kenjutsuka at live.com> wrote:

> If you read "meH'ed noun" as representing a "verb with -meH preceding a
> noun that it is modifying", then the verb before it could represent the
> main verb of the sentence.  In other words, I suspect he meant, what you
> would have preferred to be written as:
> adverb - verbbogh 'ej verbbogh noun - verb - verbmeH'ed noun

Well, sure, if you add that extra unsuffixed verb in there as a main verb
then it works fine. But, as I said, without it there isn't a main verb. Two
of the three in the original "template" have -bogh, and the other has -meH,
so a fourth verb is necessary to make it a sentence.

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 11:13 AM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> I had no trouble at all understanding what "meH'ed noun" meant. What
> else COULD it mean? I'd say the same thing myself if I had need of it.

It doesn't mean anything sensible to me. You've left off the word that the
-meH is being connected to. We should all know that -meH is a *verb* suffix
and doesn't fit on nouns. But what I read -- and what I'm still reading --
is "verb-meH'ed noun". The "'ed" is confusing, but after the subsequent
explanation I understand it to mean a verb with -meH modifying the noun.

-- ghunchu'wI'