[tlhIngan Hol] 'eSpanya' QISmaS (Beginner's text and questions)

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Nov 26 05:49:57 PST 2021

The issue here is that Okrand’s language and the fiction of Klingon culture are quite frequently nudge-nudge-wink-wink very familiar to life on Earth without a lot of thought. Why does Klingon have a 24-hour day at all? Meanwhile, we quite commonly assume that a Klingon hour is exactly as long as an Earth hour.

I’m not sure that it has been explicitly stated that a Klingon second, minute, and hour are of identical length to the human time units of those durations, yet we quite comfortably behave as if that is true. And now, you want to get all huffy about the absurdity of assuming that the unexplained “traditional” Klingon alternative to military time could possibly be a 12 hour clock.

Riiiiight.

And time zones? Well, Star Trek never thinks about time zones, nor does it explain how measuring time works without them.

I feel quite comfortable assuming that the traditional Klingon clock is a 12 hour clock until we are told otherwise. Yes, we can imagine other time systems, but they aren’t American, and in this Universe, pretty much everything is comfortably familiar to Americans, unless Okrand wants to make a joke out of an unexpected difference.

He can do that whenever he wants. And we can’t.