[tlhIngan Hol] 'eSpanya' QISmaS (Beginner's text and questions)

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Nov 23 18:23:03 PST 2021

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 8:48 PM Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression that the {Qoylu’pu’} method of time used a
> 12-hour clock instead of a 24-hour clock. {wa’maH loSvatlh rep = cha’logh
> Qoylu’pu’}
>
> Am I wrong about this?

Probably.

HolQeD 8:1 included a "Maltz Online" section which reprinted some of Marc
Okrand's comments in places like the MSN expertform newsgroup. One of the
comments was the one answering the question "What time is it?" The relevant
excerpt is

> *cha'logh Qoylu'pu*This is literally *Someone has heard it twice* or *It
> has been heard twice.* This is the Klingon equivalent to "It's two
> o'clock." Originally, this was a statement of time in the traditional
> Klingon system, but it is now also used for the 24-hour system.

[The "traditional Klingon system" is speculated about, but never quite
explained.]

-- ghunchu'wI'