[tlhIngan Hol] {'e' qa'} "instead of" with the {qa'} bearing suffixes

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sat Nov 20 14:19:52 PST 2021

Keep in mind that there is no Klingon *Sentence As Subject* grammatical construction. We’ve argued about this for years, and it’s long established that sentences can be objects of other sentences, but not subjects of other sentences.

There is only what has been given to us an idiomatic construction that appears to be *Sentence As Subject* using the one verb {qa’}. It apparently works like:

[simple sentence]; [simple sentence] ‘e’ qa’.

Okrand hasn’t tended to use semicolons before, so it should alert you to how special this is.

That idiom we were given didn’t have {-chugh} on any of the verbs. You keep trying to add it. It’s probably a bad idea to add any dependent clauses to any part of this idiom, unless we get a canon example or an explanation that clears the way.

Maybe this works, though I have my doubts, and nobody but Okrand can tell you, “Yes, this is how it works with {-chugh}.

We went through this with Comparative instructions. Okrand, in that case, did expand on how complex [X Q law’ Y Q puS] could get, but we would not have been justified in assuming that this would be the case until Okrand opened the way.