[tlhIngan Hol] {'e' qa'} "instead of" with the {qa'} bearing suffixes

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:23:27 PST 2021

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 at 12:55, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> De'vID:
> > Maybe it should be {pu' DIlo'chugh, maQap; yan DIlo' 'e' qa'}.
>
> I'm afraid I can't understand this. The way I read it is "If we use
> phasers we'll win, instead of using swords". Shouldn't there be a
> {-chugh} on the {yan DIlo'} too?

If you add {-chugh} to {yan DIlo'}, then you're trying to use {'e'} to
refer to a conditional (no longer a whole sentence, but a subordinate
clause).

You're basically trying to combine the following sentences:
{pu' DIlo'chugh, maQap} "if we use phasers, we'll win"
{pu' DIlo'; yan DIlo' 'e' qa'} "we use phasers instead of swords"

Your original proposal moved the {-chugh} to the {qa'}. I don't think
that's right, because {pu' DIlo'} should be conditional. I proposed to
leave the {-chugh} on {pu' DIlo'}, but as I noted, the result has weird
grammar. I don't think it's right, either.

--
De'vID