[tlhIngan Hol] {'e' qa'} "instead of" with the {qa'} bearing suffixes

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 03:54:58 PST 2021

De'vID:
> Maybe it should be {pu' DIlo'chugh, maQap; yan DIlo' 'e' qa'}.

I'm afraid I can't understand this. The way I read it is "If we use
phasers we'll win, instead of using swords". Shouldn't there be a
{-chugh} on the {yan DIlo'} too?

SuStel:
> Maybe this can be simplified using the common shortcuts like so:
> pu' DIlo'chugh, maQap; yan qa'.
> If we use phasers, we will succeed. It replaces swords.
> I don't know whether this works in the more formal style, however.

I can't understand this either. Could you please explain the reasons
which make you have doubts as to whether this could work in the formal
style?

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/