[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngaDmoHwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 16 08:03:56 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Klingon word: 	ngaDmoHwI'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	stabilizer (component of a ship)

  qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
  inner support stabilizer  (KBoP)

This refers to those ceiling supports that look like huge shock-absorbers which flank the captain's chair on a Bird of Prey.

TREKNOLOGY NOTES:

I'm guessing that this is not the same thing as "inertial dampeners".  (Do we have words for "inertia" or "dampen" for that matter?)

23rd century Starfleet transporters have a "stabilizer circuit".  (TOS "The Lights of Zetar")

"Adjust the axial stabilizers to match the attitude and rotation rate of the Enterprise."  (Picard, TNG "Genesis")

The "transverse supports" on the damaged USS Vico were about to collapse. (TNG "Hero Worship")

SEE:
ngaD  		be stable, balanced (v)
ngaDHa'  	be unstable, unbalanced (v)
ngaDmoH  	stabilize (v)

(KGT 150):  the verb {ngaD} ("be stable, balanced" … normally applies to a ship or a physical object, not to a situation or a person. It would be inappropriate to refer to a person as {ngaD} or {ngaDHa'} in a phrase such as {tera'ngan ngaDHa'} (unstable Terran).

Qutlh  		support (v)

(qurgh, 7/27/2010):  [At qep'a' 17] Marc also clarified that {Qutlh} ("support") can only refer to physically supporting something. It can't refer to monetary (he said {ghaq} is for this), psychological or any other non-physical type of support.

qoD  		inside,  interior (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last