[tlhIngan Hol] new word: chotlh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 11 09:40:58 PST 2021

Sort of the opposite of {ghan} "glance at, take a quick look at" but similar to {nuD} "examine, look at, inspect" :

  nItlhejbogh petaQmey tInuD
  Look at these p'takhs at your side (PB, Molor to Kahless)

  wa' qa' nuD veqlargh, latlh qa' nuD veqlargh
  the Fek'lhr inspects them one by one (PB)

The last example suggests that {nuD} shows professional or scientific interest, while {chotlh} is displays a more personal or absent-minded interest?

--
Voragh