[tlhIngan Hol] {je} "too" with negative meanings on the second sentence

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 10 06:07:07 PST 2021

On 11/10/2021 7:50 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> yaS luHoHpu', 'a be' luHoHpu'be' je
> they killed the officer, but they didn't kill the woman too
>
> Seemingly/apparently the English sentence sounds strange; but is there
> anything wrong with the Klingon one? Is there something wrong in using
> the {je} "too" this way?

Based on how *je* is presented in /The Klingon Dictionary,/ I don't
think this is how it works. It appears to be used when you want to
change one element of the OVS part of a sentence and compare it to the
previous sentence.

*SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem.
Dargh vIqem je.
*/Conversational Klingon. /The changed element is the food brought.

*jIghung.
jIghung je.*

*jI'oj.
jI'oj je.
*/Power Klingon./ The changed element is the verb.

*'ej ghIjpu' [tlhIngan may'Duj]
nIteb ghIjpu' je [tlhIngan wo' Degh]
*/Skybox SP1./ The changed element is the thing doing the scaring.

*ghop luQan tajHommey.
pe'laH je.
*/Skybox SP2./ The changed element is the verb.

And so on. So I don't think you'd combine

*yaS luHoHpu'*
and*
'a be' luHoHpu'be' je*

in this way. Here, you're changing both the object and the verb.

Just say *yaS luHoHpu' 'a be' luHoHpu'be'*/They killed the officer but
they didn't kill the woman./ The *'a*/but/ handles the unexpectedness of
the woman not also being killed. If you wanted to emphasize the
exception, you could say something like *yaS luHoHpu' 'a yIntaHbe' 'e'
luchaw'*/They killed the man but they permitted the woman to live./