[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "unguent"

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Nov 4 13:30:00 PDT 2021

You might also just consider {Hergh}. Sometimes, you don’t need to be as specific in your translation as in the original, unless there’s a reason that the specificity is important. Basically, if a Klingon wanted to say what you are saying, would he care about the physical features that the medicine has as an ointment as contrasted to some other form of medicine? Is the spreading on skin or the sensations of spreading it or any of the other features of the substance more important than the medicinal features?

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 3:58 PM, nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> taS "solution" was used to translate "suntan lotion" as DIr QanwI' taS for TalkNow!, so I tend to think of taS when describing various topical liquids, goops, and the like. You could try variations like Hergh taS 'Ir "creamy medicinal solution", 'oy'Ha'moHmeH taS jeD "viscous solution for soothing" (that is, "for making something un-hurt"), or the like.
>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 11:25 AM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>> On 11/4/2021 11:00 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
>>> I'm inclined
>>> to start using {Hergh qulcher}.
>> Odd. The KLI's New Words List doesn't list qulcher cream separately from nIm qulcher taD ice cream.
>> In English, cream by itself might be assumed to be a kind of food, or it might refer to any substance of that texture. It really depends on how it's used.
>> In Klingon, we also have the word 'Ir be creamy, pasty, which has the note "in the sense of toothpaste. Describes smooth, thick liquids or liquid-like things." So the substance you want can definitely be described as 'Ir, and in a pinch you could describe it as 'IrwI' creamy thing, pasty thing.
>> Since the Klingon describes ice cream specifically as nIm qulcher taD frozen milk ??????, and since 'Ir and qulcher were given to us in the same qep'a', I am inclined to believe that qulcher can refer to any substance with a creamy, pasty texture, not just dairy-based cream. If this is correct, then an unguent is a kind of qulcher.
>> Then there's the pun: the word qulcher sounds like culture, which is what you use to grow things like bacteria. A yogurt culture is the bacteria used to make yogurt, and yogurt is creamy, but you usually don't call yogurt cream.
>> -- 
>> SuStel
>> http://trimboli.name
>> _______________________________________________
>> tlhIngan-Hol mailing list
>> tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org
>> http://lists.kli.org/listinfo.cgi/tlhingan-hol-kli.org
> _______________________________________________
> tlhIngan-Hol mailing list
> tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org
> http://lists.kli.org/listinfo.cgi/tlhingan-hol-kli.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20211104/cff4b5d2/attachment-0002.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list