[tlhIngan Hol] back and front

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sun Nov 21 22:37:29 PST 2021

In the context of QelIS boqHarmey, Maltz told us you can use the words
{logh'ob} ("chest") and {Sa'Hut} ("butt") to refer to the front and back
of a car. (p. 232)

During the qepHom 2021 Q&A session, he explained this a bit more. All of
these words are not directly from Marc Okrand, they are my own
explanation of a longer discussion.

First, he made clear this only applies to cars, motorcycles and also
space ships and similar things, but not the the front/back of
everything, e.g. not for a computer screen, or a bottle or similar.

Regarding space ships, somebody objected that we do have words for
"fore" and "aft". Here he agreed that there is some kind of overlap, but
still a slight difference: roughly said, the "aft" and "fore" of the
ship is more a 3-dimensional space, where people can meet and where
things can be located ("cargo bay is in the aft of the ship"), and when
you use the word {Sa'Hut} to refer to the ship's back, it's the
2-dimensional surface at the end. Think of the license plate, which is
not in the trunk of the car, it's on the back of the car.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"