[tlhIngan Hol] {-vaD} "for the benefit of"

Scott D. Randel amavocet at comcast.net
Mon Nov 1 20:57:00 PDT 2021

Lately, I have heard people translating {-vaD} as "for the benefit of." I
suspect that this is meant in a grammatical sense, as the actions in
sentences using that suffix do not necessarily benefit the sentence's
object.

I have asked several people where they learned that meaning, and all they
could tell me was that they read or heard that definition long ago. TKD does
not use that wording. Does anybody here translate it this way, and if so, do
you know where you learned that definition?

Thanks for any insight you folks have!

Scott D. Randel
Everett, WA

https://www.avg.com