[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DuQwI'Hommey

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 26 08:18:47 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Klingon word: 	DuQwI'Hommey
Part of speech:  noun
Definition: 	small spikes on the *d'k tahg* pommel

moQDaq DuQwI'Hommey jej tu'lu'
A brutally spiked pommel fastens the hilt together. SP2

N.B. {DuQwI'Hom jej} "small sharp spikes" - a nice translation.

(KGT 61):  A spike is a {DuQwI'} and the small spikes on the d'k tahg are usually called {DuQwI'Hommey} (little spikes).

SEE:
DuQ  		stab,  pierce (v)
DuQwI' pogh  	glavin,  spike glove (n)

SEE ALSO:
ret'aq  		handle,  hilt (of knife, bat'leth) (n)
pu'  		spike [on boot] (n)
wIl  		spike [construction] (n)
Hut'In 		nail (n)

SPECULATION:
I've used {DuQwI'Hommey} for the sharp thorns on a {ro'Sa'} (rose).  But note that:

(KGT 88):  a thistle (a flower with dangerously sharp leaves) is a {naHjej} (literally, sharp fruit)

... which suggests *{por jej} "sharp leaf".

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen