[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 24 07:13:53 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, May 22, 2021

Klingon word: 	puS
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be few, be several, be a handful

pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW

qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS
Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ. S21

veymey puS neH chenmoHlu'pu'
Limited Edition.
("Only a few copies have been made.") MKE

GRAMMAR NOTES:
(Seqram):   Since {puS} implies by its meaning that the subject is plural, you don't need {-mey}.

(TKD 21f):  Unlike English, however, the lack of a specific suffix for plural does not always indicate that the noun is singular. In Klingon, a noun without a plural suffix may still refer to more than one entity. The plurality is indicated by a pronoun, whether a verb prefix or a full word, or by context.

SEE ALSO:
law' 		be many (v)
'Iq 		be too many, too much (v)
yapbe' 		not be enough (v)

'op 		some, an unknown/unspecified quantity (n)
HochHom 	most, greater part (n)

I'll let others discuss the various law'/puS formulae.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen