[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chur

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue May 18 08:20:08 PDT 2021

Klingon word: 	chur
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be uncomfortable
Source: 	qep'a' 24 [2017]

(qep'a' 2017):  because of clothes, room temperature, etc. (involved with physical unpleasantness)

CULTURAL NOTES:
(CK):  No matter where you stay the accommodations will be stark compared to what you are used to. Klingons are predisposed to rejecting anything whose sole function is physical comfort. They will, however, make some concessions for visitors.

(CK):   Since Klingons are accommodating of foreigners, guest rooms in hotels do come equipped with a bed, but it's most often made of the same material as the floor.
  When Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard his Bird-of-Prey, he slapped the hard bed - actually, more like a sleeping shelf - and sneered, "You will sleep Klingon-style. We do not cushion our bodies by putting down a pad."  Nonplussed, Picard slapped the "bed" himself and replied, "Good. I like it that way."  (TNG "Unification I")
  When Worf temporarily moved onto the Defiant to get away from the station, he removes the Starfleet-issue mattress from the bed in his quarters, pats the hard bare metal frame and grunts in satisfaction.  Jadzia has observed him and asks, “Better?”  Worf replies, “Much.”  (DS9 “Bar Association”)

SEE:
churHa'  	be comfortable (v) (qep'a' 2017)

tey 		be uncomfortable, close (v) (qep'a' 2017)
teybe'		be comfortable, easy (v) (qep'a' 2017)

(qep'a' 2017):  for the sense of being close or not having wiggle room or leeway (If you were victorious, but just barely made it at the last minute or something like that, you could say {tey yay}.)

baw'  		be comfortable,  feeling prepared,  confident (v) (qep'a' 2017)
baw'Ha'  	be uncomfortable,  worried,  hesitant (v) (qep'a' 2017)

(qurgh, 7/2017):  As in being uncomfortable going on a journey or un comfortable about an upcoming battle.

SEE ALSO:
jot 		be calm (v)
bel  		be pleased (v)
jotHa' 		be uneasy (v)
belHa'  		be displeased (v)
bIt 		be nervous, uneasy (v)
bergh 		be irritable (v)
boH 		be impatient (v)

bel  		pleasure,  joy (n)
Sut  		clothing (n)
Hat  		temperature (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen