[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghIH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 10 07:44:43 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, May 09, 2021

Klingon word: ghIH
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be messy, be sloppy

bIghIH
You are sloppy. {KLS)

ghIH
They're sloppy. (CK)

Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je
burger (TNK)

Mentioned in CK in the section on expressing opinions of Klingon sites.

(KGT 30):  while the verb {ghIH} means "be messy, sloppy" in {ta' Hol} and in most dialects, in the towns near Ruk'evet (ruq'e'vet), {ghIH} means "be careless".  The more widespread word for "be careless" is {yepHa'}, and this word is used in addition to {ghIH} in the Ruk'evet area.  To say "be messy, sloppy", the Ruk'evet inhabitants say {Soy'}, a verb meaning "be clumsy" elsewhere.  The Ruk'evet word for "be clumsy" is {jat}, which is phonetically identical to the noun meaning "tongue".

CULTURAL NOTES:
(KGT 138):  the characteristic patterns of younger people's speech, if noticed and commented upon, are more likely to be judged sloppy or careless rather than wrong.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen