[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: voDchuch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu May 6 08:30:17 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, May 06, 2021

Klingon word: 	voDchuch
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	spiderlike bug
Source: 	qepHom 2018

(Lieven, qepHom 2018):  This is a pretty large spider-like thing. It has nine legs usually but sometimes seven or eight – never fewer than seven unless the bug has been injured. A big spider on Earth would be a {tera' voDchuch}, but a small spider would not be a {voDchuch}.

(Lieven < MO, 12/02/2018):  {voDchuch} is not a general word for spiders, it's a specific Klingon animal that somehow resembles a spider. It's a very big animal about the size of a hand. When talking about the Terran version of the animal, one can add (as usual) {tera'} to it. If it's a small version of it, then it's okay to say {voDchuchHom} or {tera' voDchuchHom} "small Earth version of the animal that looks like a spider".

PUN:
"{voD} is bore, {chuch} is ice, thus "bore-ice" or Boris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_the_Spider ." (De'vID, 1/29/2019)

SEE ALSO:
ghIlo'meH 	*glommer*, a large red multi-legged spiderish-looking tribble
		  predator (n)  [cf. TAS "More Tribbles, More Troubles"]

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen