[tlhIngan Hol] {neH} adverb with {pong} verb

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sun May 2 08:38:51 PDT 2021

{neH} is remarkably exceptional.

As the second verb in a Sentence As Object (SAO) construction, it uniquely omits the pronoun {‘e’}, acting almost like it might have been a verb suffix (on the first verb in SAO), except that it needed a way to indicate who wants the first verb to happen. No other verb can be used as second verb in SAO without {‘e’}.

As an averbial, it is uniquely capable of modifying a noun. No other adverbial can be applied to a noun.

As an adverbial, it follows the noun or verb it modifies. No other adverbial does this.

In English, the word “only” can either mean “exclusively”, or it can mean, “merely, trivially, parenthetically, additionally”, and weirdly for an alien language, Klingon {neH} can be used in either of these two unrelated meanings for “only”.

The strange part about this mapping of both meanings of the adverbial is that in Klingon, when {neH} modifies a verb, it means “merely”, but when it modifies a noun, it means “exclusively”. Weirder still, the same can commonly be true in English, as in the difference between:

I only tapped him on the shoulder. It’s not a big deal. If he spun around, drew a weapon and shot me five times, that would be an unjustifiable overreaction.

I tapped him only on the shoulder. I didn’t tap him on the head. I didn’t tap him on the butt. I didn’t tap him on the nose. The only place I tapped him was the shoulder.

In the canon example, it follows {ponglu’}, a verb, not the implied {Qo’noS} or {juHqo’}. If the sentence had been {roD ‘oHvaD juHqo’ neH ponglu’}, it would have meant, “One usually calls it “home world”, exclusively.” In other words, one almost never uses the name “Kronos”, but instead usually calls it “home world”.

But since {neH} follows {ponglu’}, it can exclusively mean that the action of the verb {ponglu’} is trivial, parenthetical, or additional. You can call it Kronos, or you can call it home world. It doesn’t matter, really. {roD} implies that “home world” is probably more common, but nobody will be startled if you call it “Kronos” instead.

Also, you might interpret it to mean that you usually don’t call it “the home world, Kronos”. Either term is enough, alone. If you say, “home world”, nobody is going to ask, “Which home world do you mean?”

It’s like, if you were in England in the 1800s and you said, “We’re going on a tour of the empire”, nobody would ask you, “Which empire do you mean?” Everyone would know you mean the British Empire.

All Klingons know that the home world is Qo’noS.

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)