[tlhIngan Hol] lightning lightning bolt and {pe'bIl}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Tue May 25 08:08:40 PDT 2021

And now we get to MY philosophical point.

The word “status” implies an unchanging state. It’s often numeric, like a temperature measurement, or an average wind speed or velocity (speed, plus direction), but technically speed implies change in location at a measured rate, so it’s a statistic that doesn’t exist without change. Change in location is NECESSARY for speed to exist.

A lot of things in weather don’t exist without change. The barometer readings typically include the modifiers “falling” or “rising”, because the change in the measurement is more meaningful than the specific number frozen in time.

Rain implies a quantity of water moving from the clouds to the ground, changing the state of the cloud (less moist) and the ground (more wet).

Zeus isn’t some passive observer that we ask, “Hey, Zeus! What’s the weather going to be like today?”

Zeus is a guy who gets pissed off at a guy on a boat, picks up a bolt of lightning and tosses it at the mast of that guy’s ship. Zeus is willful and he can DO stuff to the status of the atmosphere.

Everything about Zeus is about changing the weather. You don’t ask Zeus what the weather is going to be like. You pray to Zeus that he’s nice to you while he decides what the weather will be like. Treat him like a meteorologist and he just might mess you up for spite. The whims of Zeus can destroy your home and wipe out your family.

That’s why he’s considered, well, a god, right?

If Dianna is pissed off at you, maybe you’ll have to become a vegetarian, but if Zeus gets pissed off at you, there’s no place to hide.

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)