[tlhIngan Hol] lightning lightning bolt and {pe'bIl}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon May 24 07:36:39 PDT 2021

Agreeing with the others, I’m just pointing out that the reason this is a challenging question is that the idea of a god that can hold a “bolt of lightning” in his hand and throw it at a target is essentially poetic, meaning that it is describing an  imaginary, unreal phenomenon. Holding a bolt of lightning in your hand is like holding love in your heart or anger in your spleen. We have these abstract, poetical ideas that are culture-based symbols, as is language. Part of what makes an expression meaningful within any language shared by two people is the cultural symbols shared by those people.

We don’t know if Klingons have lightning on Kronos. If lightning exists there, we don’t know if they ever imagined a god who held a bolt of it in his hand and threw it. [Here’s where someone pulls up a canon story of a Klingon god holding and throwing a bolt of lightning. I know that if such a story exists, someone here knows it and will cite it. You can thank me for giving you a moment of spotlight for knowing the answer I don’t know.]

We do know that Klingons have spears of a sort, so maybe they threw the spear instead of just stabbing with it (or maybe they think you’d be a coward for not walking up close enough to your enemy to stab him, or foolish to throw your spear because, well, after you throw it, you are unarmed. That’s a lot of maybes to go through before addressing the issue of whether or not they have seen throwing lightning and throwing spears as being analogous. Being alien beings, it’s hard to say.

So, it’s hard to say what the RIGHT word choice is for expressing a concept that we aren’t even sure makes any sense to a Klingon. A Klingon might look at you like an idiot and explain to you that if you grab lightning, you are quite literally in for the shock of your life.

Of course, you can always cop out and say that just because you are speaking Klingon doesn’t mean that you intend to say this to a Klingon. You actually want to say this to a human using the Klingon language.

In that case, both the speaker AND the listener are communicating a concept a Klingon wouldn’t understand anyway, so why argue over whether or not you got the wording “right”. Does the wording convey to a person who shares the same cultural symbology and analogies enough of the meaning that the listener understands the speaker? If the answer is “yes”, then you have communicated with a degree of success.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.