[tlhIngan Hol] Introduction and a letter from Marc Okrand

James Landau savegraduation at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 12:57:57 PDT 2021

>Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 07:49:34 +0200
>From: "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>

>{nuqneH} shouldn't really be used as a greeting by the incoming party. It>means "Whaddya want?"

I remember reading that that's what *nuqneH* means, but . . . are there any alternatives for people introducing themselves?
>That said, what do *you* want from this mailing list?

One thing I want is to finally start absorbing more of the Klingon language -- the vocabulary, the affixes and their proper order -- so that I can write and read it. Seeing other people write in it, often accompanied by an English translation, and the joy that comes from recognizing many of the words, or better yet, being able to translate the whole sentence without having to look it up. For instance, reading all the stuff mayqel writes about the Greek deities, accompanied by their English translations so I can follow along, is nothing short of inspiring.
Another thing I want is to start translating things into Klingon. Some help isn't bad, but even if I translate the whole thing on my own, I want to make sure I didn't (a) make a syntax error, (b) misuse affixes, or (c) misunderstand the meaning of a word.
I already have a particular pop song I'd like to translate in mind. Stay tuned!