[tlhIngan Hol] 'eSpanya' 'ewrop je (Beginner's text and questions)

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Thu May 27 13:32:35 PDT 2021

SuStel:

>>I was actually referring to *SepwIjvaD QaQqu' ghu'vam*. I thought this sentence (*QaQqu'*) could be understood as imperfective if I don't say that Spain is still a member.

>Yes, you could characterize it as imperfective, whether or not you say
Spain is still a member. The situation (of being a member, whenever that
was, is, or will be) equals good.

Sorry, but I forgot to write the word *past* in my sentence. I actually wanted to say: I thought this sentence (*QaQqu'*) could be understood as imperfective *past* if I don't say that Spain is still a member (since the reader could believe Spain is no longer a member and thus understand the being good as imperfective past, instead of present). However, if I don't only say Spain became a member in 1986, but I add (to clarify) that it's still a member now (*DaHjaj lochtaH*), then the reader will likely interpret *SepwIjvaD QaQqu' ghu'vam* as present and not (imperfective) past. Am I right or am I messing it up?