[tlhIngan Hol] 'eSpanya' 'ewrop je (Beginner's text and questions)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 26 11:11:41 PDT 2021

I agree with SuStel that there’s no reason to assume that {loch} “be a fraction of, make up a portion of, constitute part of” is restricted to math.  Remember that both {chen} “build up, take form, take shape” and {boq} “ally with, form an alliance with“ are also used (along with various suffixes) in math expressions as well as more generally.  I’d just like to suggest some other vocabulary (and examples) WRT groups and members thereof available to play with:

jeS          participate (v)

(Lieven < MO, 10/19/2016 [qepHom 2016]): The verb {jeS} (participate) does not take an object.  It generally is in a phrase following a phrase saying what the subject of {jeS} is participating in.  All of the following can be translated as “I participate in the qepHom”, though the literal meaning of each is distinct:
  qaStaHvIS qepHom jIjeS  "While the qepHom is happening, I participate"
  qaS qepHom ’ej jIjeS        "The qepHom is happening, and I participate"
  qaS qepHom vaj jIjeS       "The qepHom is happening, so I participate"

  laS veghaS HIltonDaq «Hov leng: yIjeSchu'» qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS
  Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton. STX

 tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
  Be the first to journey to the 24th century. STX

 yejvamvaD jeSmeH DIb Dabajbe'pu'.
  You have not earned a seat at this council.
    (DSC/Qov "Battle At the Binary Stars" NON-CANON)

muv      join (v)

  Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.
  You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect the chancellor. MKE

  may' DaQap, vaj betleH 'obe' Damuv 'e' Daqotlh
  Win battle and earn entrance into the Order of the Bat'leth. MKE

  Qo'noS tuqmey muvchuqmoH qeylIS
  Kahless united the tribes of Kronos (PB)

 batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv
  Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet... (Anthem)

  jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH
  Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam aboard! STX

chuD     people, kin, member of the same group or tribe or clan (n)

  Qob lIb bam SoH chuDlI' je
  You and your people are in danger. STID
  DarItmo' vangbej'a' chuDma'?
  Can you be sure our brothers and sisters will answer your call?
    (DSC "The Vulcan Hello" NON-CANON)

vInDa'   compatriot, community member, cohort, fellow citizen (n)

  'ej Dojmey wID - vInDa'ma' peq.
  He has killed many of our people.  STID

--Voragh
From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> On Behalf Of SuStel