[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puS

luis.chaparro at web.de luis.chaparro at web.de
Wed May 26 08:17:43 PDT 2021

>> My understanding is that "few" emphasizes the paucity of what there are,>> while "a few" emphasizes the fact that, hey, at least there are some.
>Yes, that's how I learned it too. "I have FEW friends" means that I do not have many. When you say "I have A FEW friends", it's positively saying that >there are several, many friends.

>> In Spanish, however, they're both *pocos*.
>In German, "a few" is "einige", and "few" is "wenige".

I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't know if I understand the difference correctly, but as a native Spanish speaker I wouldn't use "pocos" in both sentences. I would probably say something like:

"La Sra. Spigzweiler se sentía decepcionada porque ALGUNOS / UNOS CUANTOS alumnos habían copiado." (similar to German "einige")
"La Sra. Spigzweiler se sentía decepcionada porque (muy) POCOS alumnos habían aprobado." (similar to German "wenige")