[tlhIngan Hol] subjects and objects in imperatives

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 26 06:15:09 PDT 2021

On 5/26/2021 7:47 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> I know that this must be a ridiculous thing to ask, at this point,
> after having written my brains out in Klingon, but this thing since it
> came to my mind is killing me.
>
> Who the jay' is the subject and object in an imperative???
>
> I say to someone:
>
> yIQong!
> sleep!
>
> Who's the subject and who's the object?
>
> I say to the judges:
>
> yaS tIqIch!
> condemn the officers!
>
> If the subject are the judges, and the object the officers, then what
> am I? (i.e. the one who gives the command).
>
> It seems a ridiculous thing to ask, but it's driving me crazy.

Klingon imperatives only have an implied subject: *SoH* or *tlhIH.* They
are never stated and do not follow the verb.

The object of an imperative is exactly the same as the object of an
indicative. *yaS tIqIch:* the object is *yaS.* *yIQong:* there is no object.

I don't know the grammatical term for the person who utters an imperative.