[tlhIngan Hol] lightning lightning bolt and {pe'bIl}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 25 08:28:45 PDT 2021

On 5/25/2021 11:08 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> The word “status” implies an unchanging state. It’s often numeric,
> like a temperature measurement, or an average wind speed or velocity
> (speed, plus direction), but technically speed implies change in
> location at a measured rate, so it’s a statistic that doesn’t exist
> without change. Change in location is NECESSARY for speed to exist.
>
> A lot of things in weather don’t exist without change. The barometer
> readings typically include the modifiers “falling” or “rising”,
> because the change in the measurement is more meaningful than the
> specific number frozen in time.
>
> Rain implies a quantity of water moving from the clouds to the ground,
> changing the state of the cloud (less moist) and the ground (more wet).

What you're describing is the uncertainty principle (a function and its
Fourier transform cannot both concentrate on small sets). The more
precisely you narrow down the temporal scope of the measurement, the
less precisely you know the value of the measurement you're looking for,
because the phenomenon itself has a temporal component. I don't believe
the word /status/ implies an unchanging state, since one needn't attempt
to reduce the temporal domain of a measurement to zero to obtain a status.

In any case, I fail to see the relevance to this conversation.