[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu May 13 08:42:29 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, May 13, 2021

Klingon word: tlhIl
Part of speech: verb
Definition: mine

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

CULTURAL NOTES:
  "The prisoners on Rura Penthe ... mine dilithium, required for warp propulsion systems." (TKW 190)

TREK TRIVIA:
  The remote Galactic Mining Station on Delta-Vega is an automated lithium cracking station, "rich in crystal and minerals." (TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before")

  Harcourt Fenton Mudd was arrested and imprisoned on a Rigel mining planet. (TOS "I, Mudd")

  In 2267 Klingon agent Kras supported the Maab's revolt against the High Tier Akaar (leader of the "ten tribes of Capella") in hopes the new leader would award the Klingon Empire the rights to mine the rare mineral topaline on Capella IV. ("Friday's Child" [TOS])

  In 2267 the Halkans refused the Federation (and the Mirror Empire) permission to mine dilithium crystals on their planet. (TOS "Mirror, Mirror")

  In 2367 Picard shuttled to Pentarus II to settle a dispute among the salenite miners there. (TNG "Final Mission")

SEE:
tlhIl  		mineral (n)
tlhIlHal  	mine (n)
tlhIlwI'  		miner (n)

SEE ALSO:
ghaw  		excavate, dig (a hole, trench, ditch, etc.) (v)
voD 		drill, bore (v)
tlhan 		dig [into] (v)
mol 		bury (v)
molHa’ 		dig up (v)
teq 		remove (v)

Daqrab 		well (n)
'och 		tunnel (n)
Qargh 		fissure (n)
DIS 		cave (n)
ghevjur 	shovel (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen