[tlhIngan Hol] Pizza is my favorite!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 12 13:40:58 PDT 2021

On 5/12/2021 4:15 PM, James Landau wrote:

> Eng: I love pizza. Pizza is my favorite!
>
> Kli: pItSa' chab vIparHa' jIH. pItSa' parHa' law Hoch latlh Sojmey
> parHa' puS.
>
> 1. Is *parHa'* the best way to say "love", or could *muSHa'* also be used?

*muSHa'* is usually the word we use for /love. /*parHa'* means /like./

> 2. Is "like the most" the correct way to say "favorite"? Is it still
> grammatical when it's relativistic without using a prefix like vI- to
> show WHO likes pizza the most?

The *law'/puS* (comparative, superlative) sentence can only be used with
qualities. *parHa'* is an action, not a quality, so it can't be used in
a superlative sentence like this.

When constructing a superlative sentence, make the second noun just *Hoch.*

Your first sentence is correct. (The pronoun *jIH* is optional here, and
usually dropped, but it's not wrong to use it.) For your second
sentence, maybe try using the verb *qaq* /be preferable./ With that
verb, you don't even need a superlative sentence. If you want a
superlative sentence, consider using *QaQ*/be good/ or *'ey*/be
delicious./ Either way, to make it "my" favorite, you might need the
word *jIHvaD* /for me./

I'll let you work it out from there.