[tlhIngan Hol] hellenic gods - hermes introduction

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 4 07:17:03 PDT 2021

On 5/4/2021 9:56 AM, De'vID wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2021 at 15:15, Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com
> <mailto:willmartin2 at mac.com>> wrote:
>

>     SuStel’s email client and OS and the default font made the italic
>     appear to be bold as well.
>

> chay' ngoDHey DaSovlaH? SuStel Daghoq'a'?

The italic appeared to be italic (it was buried in one of the
paragraphs), and the bold appeared to be bold. There were no bold italics.

Qa'yIn sent his message in multipart/alternative, with the alternatives
being text/plain (with the asterisks and slashes added) and text/html
(with the text effects in html). His client sent the parts in that
order, and in multipart/alternative, the parts are sent in order of
increasing preference. This means that your mail client will display the
last one that you allow according to your settings.

My email client is Thunderbird, as anyone can tell by looking at the
message source of anything I send. By default, Thunderbird will prefer
text/html over text/plain, though there's no way anyone can tell whether
I've changed the settings.

So I DO have Thunderbird set to default settings in this matter (and you
should have guessed that based on how I send most messages in text/html,
but not this one because I won't add any text effects), and it
automatically shows me messages in "original HTML." I can override this
by going to View > Message Body As > Plain Text, and now I'm seeing what
you're seeing: asterisks and slashes.

The thing is, virtually every mail client on the planet is capable of
displaying HTML messages now and has been for decades, and the only
reason anyone's doesn't is because they don't want it to. And there's
really not much difference between seeing *Qapla'* and typing {Qapla'},
while anyone who wants to can see it in bold face.