[tlhIngan Hol] {neH} adverb with {pong} verb

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun May 2 04:17:16 PDT 2021

Ca'Non sentence:

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "the homeworld"

I can't understand how this Ca'Non klingon sentence produces the english
one; if I hadn't read the translation, I'd understand it as "it is merely
called homeworld". Which in turn wouldn't make sense not even in english.

What does "merely called" actually mean? Does it mean that something is
"merely called" as opposed to something additional being happening to it?
If I say "the officer merely hit the prisoner", then this means that he hit
the prisoner without doing anything else to him; it means "he just hit the
prisoner; he didn't for example execute him too".

So, what the jay' does "something is merely called" actually mean? Does it
mean "we just call it something, without let's say having sex with it too"?

This Ca'Non sentence seems like 'oqranD wanted to use the adverb "simply",
which of course is non-existent in the so-called warrior language, and for
lack of a better alternative, shoved up a {neH} after the {ponglu'}, while
at the same time giving a different english translation than klingon
sentence actually implies.

I could understand it if he wrote:

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' neH ponglu'
[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as only "the homeworld"

Meaning "Kronos is usually called only by the name of homeworld"; i.e.
usually no other name is being used for Kronos, except "the homeworld".

~ Dana'an