[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon (at least pseudo-Klingon) in Bart Simpson #84 comic book

Russ Perry, Jr. russperryjr at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 16:30:13 PDT 2021

Sorry for the delay in responding...

There's no one named Hawk, Mister or otherwise...

Bing is certainly the usual suspect, but...  I can't help but wonder if "lij" was meant to be "maj", and "Quch" head, and wonder if it was done partly from (a mistaken) memory.  But who knows...

I checked again, and while "'oy' teS Quch" parallels "Ay, mi cabeza" earlier in the story, the next panels do not proceed the same way, so I don't think the rest of the phrases are mirroring earlier ones the same way.

Russ

On Fri Apr 23 2021 01:39:47 GMT-0500 (CDT), Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

Am 21.04.2021 um 04:01 schrieb Russ Perry Jr:
> The lack of case differences and apostrophes have kept me from trying to translate, but the top-most bit is meant to be “my head hurts” I believe, as it parallels Bart hitting his head and waking up speaking Spanish earlier in the story.

This is very interesting to see!

fixing the case and apostrophes, I get this:

{'oy' teS Quch}
"it hurts, ear forehead"

{qal qaH Hawq QoghIj}

It's possible this is is a transcription from a name. Is there a "Mister
Hawk" in the story?
literally it say "Mister Hawk's brain is corrupt."

{lIj}
"your" or "forget"

{Haq no'och}

The first is "surgery/do surgery", but {no''och} is a word for forehead.

Summarizing this, I believe it is the result of the Bing-translator.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"