[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qempa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 31 08:55:05 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Klingon word:	 qempa'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	ancestor

Singular only; the plural is {no'}

SEE:
qempa’QeH  		*Qempa'keh*, the wrathful spirits of the dead (n) PB

  "The *Qempa'keh* ({Qempa'QeH}) [sic] are the enraged (QeH) ancestral spirits (qempa') populating Gre'thor." (PB, paq'raD, Canto 9, Stanza 1 footnote)

qempa'QeHlI' tIghommoH qa'pu'vam Hem law' Hoch Hem puS
[translation not available]  (PB)

Daq HopHa’Daq qa’chaj nejlI’ qotar Qempa’QeH je
Not far away, Kotar and his Qempa'keh, are in search for their souls. (PB)

quqtaHvIS wanI'vam raQDaq pawta' qotar qempa'QeH je
At the same time Kotar and the Qempa'keh arrive at the camp. (PB)

nablIj yIpab molor yIqaD nItlhej qempa'QeHwI' (PB)
[translation not available]   (PB)

may' bI'reS bejtaHvIS mon
   ghIq pum QaSDaj law' 'e' legh
   ghIq qempa'QeH legh
[translation not available]  (i.e. Molor, PB)

SEE ALSO:
'emrIgh 		ancestor (direct) (n)
  - (qep’a’ 2019): an individual ancestor in one's own bloodline
nubwI' 			predecessor (n)
nortlham 		descendant (n)

quH  			heritage (n)
'ISyar 			legacy (n)
lurDech 		tradition (n)

CULTUREAL NOTES:

(KGT 133):  Klingons revere their ancestors, respect their elders, and have unparalleled veneration for heritage.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen