[tlhIngan Hol] when to {mej} and when to {tlheD}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 23 09:08:10 PDT 2021

On 3/23/2021 12:01 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> (Okrand, qepHom 2019):  The difference between {mej} “leave” and
> {tlheD} “depart” is that {tlheD} implies setting out on a journey,
> having a goal or destination in mind, while {mej} refers simply to
> leaving one's current location. In both cases, the object is the place
> you're departing/leaving from.

And let's remember that the difference is not whether the subject has
any destination in mind; it's whether the speaker is expressing that the
subject has a destination in mind.

*ghIq mejpu' tlha'a HoD.*/Then Captain Klaa left./ (It doesn't matter
whether he had somewhere to go; all I care about is that he wasn't here
anymore.)

*ghIq tlheDpu' tlha'a HoD.*/Then Captain Klaa departed. /(He had
somewhere else to be.)