[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bo

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 17 08:24:09 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Klingon word: 	bo
Part of speech:  noun
Definition: 	feather
Source: 	HQ:v10n4p5

SEE:
tel 		wing (n)
raw' 		"aquatic bird with colorful plumage" (n)

SEE ALSO:
bo'Degh 	bird (n)
  - (HQ 10.4:5):  ... the most general Klingon word for a creature of this type … Maltz pointed out that, in flight, a bird's wings {laq} (the bird is said to {laqmoH} its wings) … The plural suffix for birds is usually {-mey}, the general plural suffix, as would be expected. There is a difference of opinion, however, about which plural suffix to use for a few birds capable of mimicking speech, such as the {vIlInHoD} and the {qaryoq} (and the larger {qaryoq'a'}), with some Klingons using {-mey} but others preferring {-pu'}, the plural suffix for beings capable of using language.

neb 		beak, bill (n)
wom 		peck (v) [used for both eating and attacking by pecking]

mo'  		cage (n)
yanwo' 		nest (n)
QIm 		egg (n)

laq  		flap (v)
puv  		fly (v)
qaj 		soar (v)
Saq  		land (on ground) (v)
tlhot 		land (on the water) (v)
ngun 		perch (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen