[tlhIngan Hol] leS "days from now" and numbers on plural nouns and inherently plural nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Mar 11 04:34:28 PST 2021

On 3/11/2021 7:04 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> The word {leS} was given as "days from now". Not "day/days from now".
>
> It *could* have been given though as "day from now", and noone would
> even flinch at hearing {wej leS} because adding a plural suffix isn't
> necessary. However, it was rather given as "days from now".
>
> And then we have the {wa'leS} for "tomorrow", which actually means
> "one days from now". On the other hand though, people do not usually
> say "one days from now"; they say "one day from now".
>
> So where am I going with all this?
>
> If we can say {wa'leS} for "one days from now", then how is it any
> different from the following?
>
> wa' yaSpu'vam
> one of these officers
>
> wa' ghomvam
> one of this group
>
> wa' ray'vam
> one of these targets

But you're not suggesting that *wa'leS* means /one of these days from
now, /so your other suggestions don't follow the same pattern.

You're reasoning from an English gloss, not the obvious Klingon meaning.
We have these time words, *leS, Hu', ben, nem, waQ, wen, *which all work
the same way: add a number to it, and it indicates a point in the future
or past. The words represent a unit size.

So I reject your suggestions as ungrammatical and your reasoning as
based on unnecessarily specific demands on the English glosses.