[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIng

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Mar 9 05:25:52 PST 2021

Am 09.03.2021 um 13:02 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> kechpaja:
>  > Didn't we decide a while back that you
>  > couldn't do that, though? Perhaps
>  > I'm misremembering, but I remember
>  > there being a whole argument about
>  > how you couldn't have two nouns with {-
>  > Daq} in a row.
>
> Wow.. Hold on there. Who the jay' said that and based on what Ca'Non?

It depends. The rule says that in a noun-noun construction, only the
second noun can have a Type 5 suffix. (TKD, chapter 3.4)

It is not okay to say {'elaDya'Daq bIQ'a'} for "a sea in Greece".

> Who said I can't say {'elaDya'Daq bIQ'a' vengDaq jIHtaH} for "I'm at
> Greece at a sea city"?

Now come the "it depends" part: If the first noun in such a row has a
type 5 suffx, referring to the following sentence, then it's okay. But
of course, it is a different meaning.

Compare:
- {bIQ'a'Daq jIQal} "I swim in the ocean"
- {'elaDya'Daq bIQ'a'Daq jIQal} "I swim in the ocean in Greece".

The second sentence should be read as
  {'elaDya'Daq, bIQ'a'Daq jIQal}  (= locative)
and not
  {['elaDya'Daq bIQ'a']-Daq jIQal} (= noun noun construction)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"