[tlhIngan Hol] some more from Maltz

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Mar 26 03:47:57 PDT 2021

- new word {yI'var} = "therapy"
- difference between {DIng} and {jIr} clarified
- expanded meaning of {yer ghajwI' chaw'}

Hello my dear friends,

during a conversation with Marc Okrand, he has revealed some interesting
details on some words, even giving us one new useful word.

The entire message is also archived on qepHom.de:

-- begin of message --------------------------------------------

Hi, Lieven —

Okay.... here we go...


LL: "partner" - Can {qoch} really work as a "business partner"? It
sounds weird to me.

MO: Thinking like a Klingon, will making use of {boq} ("alliance,
coalition" / "ally with") work?


LL: "therapy" - In the sense of "a procedure to heal somebody". I'm
confused that I'm not finding anything. Of course I could say {rachmeH
mIw}, but maybe there's an option? The sentence is something like using
a name "The Dr-Maltz-Therapy will be successful" but also describing the
method: "We present to you the fluoride-therapy." or "the magnetic
therapy" or "ultraviolet light therapy" and so on.

MO: Perhaps you can just go with {X mIw}, where X is fluoride, magnet,
ultraviolet light, etc., as long as it will always be clear from context
that {mIw} refers to a health/therapeutic procedure or treatment. If
context isn't enough to make things clear, then I'll bother Maltz some more.

LL: This could be confusing with the existing word {porgh mIw}, whatever
that could be.

MO: I don't know what "body therapy" would be either, but I do see how
{porgh mIw} could make this confusing. So instead of using {mIw}, go
with {yI'var} "treatment, therapy."


LL: What is the difference between {jIr} and {DIng}?

MO: Though there's some overlap, {DIng} is generally used for things
spinning or rotating continuously or for a long time, while {jIr} is
used when the thing rotates partially or once or for a few times. (So
you'd use {jIr} or {jIrmoH} for what you might be doing with the
steering wheel while the car's tires {DIng}.)


LL: Do I understand correctly that {pIn} means "boss" as in the opposite
of employee? "My boss tells me what to do". Right?

MO: The short answer is yes, but there doesn't have to be an
employer-employee relationship. The {pIn} is the person in charge of
something or in control of something.


LL: "patented" as in "The company has unique and patented products."

MO: Believe it or not, you can use {yer ghajwI' chaw'}. In Klingon
Monopoly, this was used for "title deed," but it can apply to things
other than land or property or real estate — it just means the legally
recognized right to control something (land, yes, but also technology
and perhaps other things). It is often shortened to {yer chaw'}.

{yer chaw'}, of course, is a noun. Verbs commonly used when {yer chaw'}
is the object are {Suq}, {ghaj}, and even {much}.


LL: "support" - {ngaq} is labeled as "military term" in TKD. Is there a
different noun for mental support, as in getting help from "software
support" or "personal support"?

MO: {boQ} could work. Maybe also {vuy} "be helpful, supportive."


LL: "health" as a noun. This is not a verb in a sentence, it talks about
"health products", "personal health" and "Health is important", even
stands alone "health".

MO: Have you tried wrestling with {pIv} (and constructing short phrases)?

[After talking about this, we agreed that {porgh Dotlh} is a good
solution for this, although it's not a direct translation for "health".]


LL: product: - A thing that is produced and then sold. The company has
several "products".

MO: How about {vIqraq}? {vIqraq} is defined as "artifact, work of art,"
but it's further clarified as: "handicraft, gizmo, gadget, contraption,
machine, device, etc. That is, it refers to something manufactured or
made." So I think it could be used for a "product" (assuming the product
was something physical).


It's not the middle of the night, but, as usual, if you see any typos or
anything else weird, let me know.

- Marc

-- end of message --------------------------------------------

In addition to the above, we talked on the phone to find some solutions.

- To talk about a motorcycle, Okrand confirmed that this counts as a
land vehicle, i.e. a {puH Duj}. Although a motorcycle looks like a bike,
you cannot say {qam Do Duj} because it definitely goes faster than {qam
Do}. He accepted my wording {cha' rutlh puH Duj} as "Yes, you can say
that". In addition to that, {SeD} would be the verb for riding/driving a
- A long and complicated discussion about what would be the best verb
for controlling/using a device ended with Okrand's suggestion that {lo'}
is probably the most useful verb, avoiding the entire discussion.

Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list