[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chIvo'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 1 07:37:12 PST 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, February 26, 2021

Klingon word: chIvo'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: total dishonor, absolute lack of honor
Source: Star Trek Into Darkness, qepHom 2013

potlhmo' batlh, vIqawba'. 'ej chIvo' neH chIw vum'e'.
Because you care about honor. And this man has none. STID

SEE:
(HQ 12.3:9):  Maltz mentioned one noun associated with these verbs, {DavHam}, which he defined simply as "false honor", but which really covers the same semantic ground as both {HoQ} and {Qaq} (but not really {mIl}).  {DavHam} is different from {quvHa'ghach} "dishonor" (noun) in that the latter does not imply seeming to be honorable or the appearance of honorability, but rather the lack of or loss of honor."

SEE ALSO:
quvHa'ghach 	dishonor (n)
batlhHa'	dishonorably (adv)
qal 		be corrupt (v)

GARAK:  It's the honorable thing to do."
WORF:   You use that word, but you have no idea what it means.
GARAK:  Perhaps not, but you do.  [DS9 "In Purgatory's Shadow"]

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen