[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghubDaQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 31 09:50:15 PDT 2021

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Klingon word: 	ghubDaQ
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	first born child, firstborn
Source: 	HQ (9:3 p8)

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(KGT 36):  Each house is led by the eldest male direct descendent of the previous leader (there are complex traditions dealing with what happens if there is no male heir)

(ST Encyclopedia [1994] p.124):  Klingon tradition held that when a Klingon was unable to stand and face his enemies, he should choose the *Hegh'bat*.  The rite called for the eldest son of the celebrant, or a trusted friend, to deliver a ritual knife to the warrior, who would impale himself in the chest.  The son or friend would then remove the knife and wipe it on his sleeve.

SEE:
puqloD wa'DIch  	first-born son (PB
  - yatlh luqara' puqloD wa'DIch qenglI'
    Lukara, pregnant of their first-born son (PB)

SEE ALSO:
puq 			child, offspring (n)
nortlham  		descendant (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from the last year or two. I’ve fallen